8 Simple Steps to Clean Blocked Drains Naturally
Blocked drains are troublesome. It is always a great way to keep your drains on top with natural cleaning maintenance. We might get ahead of things to prevent our drains from being blocked. There are natural ways of cleaning your drain which is more advisable than using the chemical drain cleaners.
Here are the ways on how you can unblock your drain the natural way:
- Prepare the baking soda and vinegar. These are known to fight against bacteria and soothe any build up down your drains. Prepare for a least ½ cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vinegar.
- Boil hot water in a pot as you’ll use this to rinse the blocked drain later on.
- Remove the drain cover. It can either be a sink strainer or stopper. If it’s a strainer, you have to use a handy tool to tighten the screws in order to remove it. Make sure to familiarise how it is being disassembled so it’s easy for you to congregate it back. The latter is easy to remove so it’s less hassle than the strainer.
- After removing the drain cover, prepare the boiling water. Gently, pour it down the drain and leave for about 5 minutes.
- Get the ½ cup of baking soda. Dump it down your drain and ensure to let it sit for 3-5 minutes. Baking soda will help loosen up any dingy sludge that is accumulated in your drain.
- Prepare a mixture of vinegar and hot water. Mix 1 cup of vinegar and hot water and pour the mixture into the drain. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the drain plug. To finally get rid of all the bad stuff down your drain, pour it once again with a pot of boiling water. This is to make sure that any hanging particle at the bottom of your drain will be flushed out.
Often, we are inclined to use the chemical drain cleaners because for some this is the most effective way to clean drains yet, you can have a natural way. Both ways can be effective but the latter is safer and less expensive, too.