4 Varieties of Rodding and Drain Cleaning Equipment
Rodders and other drain cleaning equipment have been considered one of the home essentials because they are very necessary especially when maintaining our home’s sewer system. This component of our plumbing system should be always kept clean and build-up free in order for them not to get obstructed or experience any clogging trouble.
Rodders have been defined to be a kind or semi-flexible cable that is shoved into your clogged or obstructed sewer lines. The cause of obstruction is usually caught by this rod and is tugged out from the sewer line. However, you might expect this equipment to come in a single type and design. There are actually numerous types of rods out there in the plumbing market that could be used to restore the flow of your obstructed sewer lines. Here are the following types of rods:
Tape rods have been considered the most common and basic form of the rod out there in the plumbing industry. It is usually identified because of its coil of half firm flat steel together with a plug or a ball on the end portion of the coil. This is usually shoved into the obstructed sewer line pushing it to its entire length. When it reaches the obstruction, you can exert more force in order for this rod to push the obstruction or the cause of the blockage. This type of rod comes in various lengths and it can even reach up to 100 feet.
Every equipment is always accompanied with its own disadvantages and limitations and let me show you the limitations of a tape rod:
- Because this rod does not have the ability and the feature to turn, expect them to remove or take only limited blockages.
- The type of obstruction they could get is as well limited because of its single type of head.
- Because they do not have the ability to turn in corners because of its firmness, expect that this rod is only applicable on straight sewer line applications and not in situations where sewer lines have various fittings and numerous changes in direction.
Sink augers also come in a coil within a canister similar to that of the tape rod. It has a self-feeding auger on its end and the canister is usually linked to a handle and a knob that could be used to turn the rod around. However, this type of auger is only suitable for situations where the blockages do not lie very far from the drainage or the sink.
Kinetic water ram
When using this kind of ram, the operator does not have to exert too much effort in pushing the obstruction because this ram utilises a compressed air to remove the clog. Operating this equipment is quite simple because all you have to do is pull the trigger like a gun and tug it back. This can be used in many situations such as clogs and obstructions in lavatories, toilets, bathtubs, shower rooms, floor or basement drains and kitchen sinks.
However, when you use this equipment, make sure to read, understand and follow the manual, instructions and warning signs because the force this equipment can exert might be strong enough to destroy the walls of your sewer lines and cause further damage.
A closet auger is as well very useful because it can be used to restore the flow of water within your sewer line when it experiences clogging or obstruction. This tool has a spring cable with an auger head on one end and the auger’s handle on the other. When using this tool, you only need to shove the head to the sewer line and turn the handle back and forth to remove the blockage. This auger comes and various sizes, a 1/2 x 3 1/2 feet and a 1/2 x 6 feet. The longer option usually comes more expensive than the shorter one, however, if you choose the latter, you would find it more convenient and easy to use because its length can push the blockage up until it reaches the main sewer line.
Now, let me show you the setbacks and limitations of a closet auger:
- The very first limitation of a closet auger is caused by its length. Because its longest variety is up until 6 feet only, this tool will be very useless if the obstruction lies beyond the said length.
- Another setback of this tool is its fixed size and the incapability to change its head.
- Because the cable of this tool is flexible, it is certain that when the blockage is strong and sturdy, this tool wouldn’t be able to remove it at all.